Monday, July 19, 2010

Monday, July 19

We went to the infectious disease doctor, Dr. Sotman (How many of you have your own infectious disease doctor? I bet I'm listed with the CDC in Atlanta, lol.), today and to the infusion clinic. Dr. Sotman was pleased with the foot's progress and scheduled us to see him in the future at his wound clinic in HEB where his wound nurse can help care for the foot. He simply reminded me that this will be a slow process...sigh.

At the infusion clinic they lengthened my port line so I can give myself my own infusions (yay!) and changed the times to 10 p.m., 6 a.m., and 2 p.m., .more humane times all the way around. Love the people in Dr. Sotman's office and the infusion clinic...wonderful folks. The receptionist at Dr. Sotman's office said she had been praying for me in her church prayer group from First, Burleson. Seems the hand of God has a wide reach.

They took a culture from Karen to see if she has any staph she's carrying. Dr. Sotman didn't think it likely but he said if she did he'd create a concoction for her...:-). Unfortunately, no test results available until Friday. Karen's pre-op is scheduled for tomorrow. Dr. Sotman said to move forward. So Monday may still be D-Day for Karen's hip replacement.

I am still overwhelmed by the grace of God that keeps coming to me through God's people...a community built on God's very love. I'm thinking about doing a little theological reflection...maybe God's given me this downtime to do so. If I do, I'll make my own blog and link it to The Gilbert Life.

Life is a mystery and we are caught in its midst!

4 comments:

  1. Tim, we're glad to get this update knowing you will be able to administer the infusions. The new time schedule is more manageable, if not more humane! Whoever came up with that suggestion?! We'll make sure you get to the wound clinic in HEB if Karen has her surgery.

    Now for my "first born/older sister" words of wisdom: Your main job is to stay on track taking care of yourself. Friends are standing by to help Karen in the days and weeks ahead. And, we will continue to care for you. We are so happy that you are making steady progress. Yes, it will be S - L - O - W, but the mystery you speak of makes the journey all the more precious. Remember you are loved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Sotman treated one of my uncles several years ago. He came out of his mysterious infection and did not have any lingering issues. You have a fantastic doctor and a lot of friends cheering you on. Doris J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim and Karen,
    Think of the creative things you can say when you write your "What I Did On My Summer Vacation" essay on the first day of school. . . . oh, wait, maybe you two have already graduated. Well, write, blog or journal your adventures anyway. It will be good reading through the years to come!
    Love to you both,
    Beth and John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim, Philosophical reflection is exactly what I was hoping you would undertake!

    Much love to you both!

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete