Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Going Home


This weekend I was able to spend some time back at home with mom and dad. I had a wedding to attend in Abilene and when I booked my ticket months ago, I had already planned to fly through DFW to stay with my mom and dad for a night or two. Although I didn't know we'd end up here, I sure am thankful I somehow knew that I would need that time at home with my family.

It's funny how life moves in cycles. In college, I didn't like coming home much. It was hard, the rules had changed and I was just learning how to handle my own independence. And then, when I moved farther away from home, that distaste for coming home began to fade. These days, I want nothing more than to be able to sit at home with my mom and dad (and sis when she is there) to talk and share life together. We know they are in good hands and cannot even begin to fathom the outpouring of love or say enough thank you's for the care you are giving and have given to our parents.

While at home, I helped move a second bed downstairs. If mom does indeed have her surgery (which we are hoping and praying that she will), she will not be able to share a bed with dad due to the infection. So, guess what.....they now have two beds downstairs!
I think mom is now calling this their "infirmary," but I think its quite cozy really.

Dad spends most of his days reading books and working crosswords. I bought him a Netflix subscription while I was home so that he can at least watch movies and TV shows he cares about instead of mindless TV.
I am so thankful for the time I had at home this past weekend and until the next time, Skype will have to do! (which by the way, we have figured out how to 3-way call so that ALL of us Gilberts can talk at one time! Thank goodness for modern technology!)

4 comments:

  1. The new "do" definitely brings back memories. You look exactly like you did in Kindergarten and 1st grade. Love it!!!! Glad Katie got to help with moving the bed. I was ready to come down and try to do this!! Write a book you know you want to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the new "do". At first glance it really did look like Malcolm. Have fun taking it easy. Have patience too. Books and Netflix - sounds like a plan.
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay that bottom pic is eerie...I'm pretty sure I'm looking at MY dad there!!!
    Hugs to you guys
    AJxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my "little" brother!!!!
    I LOVE YOU! Sis

    ReplyDelete