Wednesday, July 21, 2010

the great dance

the great dance...

"...for that is how it is, a great and moving pattern, a cosmic dance of the whole created order, of which each of us is a part. The patterns change, the steps of the dance vary, but it is still the metaphor of the Great Family to which we belong."
-Madeleine L'Engle

Happy Birthday to my daddy!!!

Daddy- you are part of the great dance... did you know? This is just for you, even if no one else understands, I know that you will.

Thanks dad for all of the ways you have been my teacher throughout my life. You are even teaching me now about taking responsibility, about the grace of God and about relying on others to carry you along. After all we were put here to be in community and love each other. We have the great privilege to expand our family and we can choose to be that to each other. I am so thankful that you are still here to celebrate with and be family to! I am thankful that there are so many who are willing to be your family while Katie and I cannot be there.

I hope you have had a great day! And a great steak dinner!!!!

May we continue to choose to carry each other through whatever life may bring. May we never forget that God is continually putting things in our way and we choose whether or not to join in the dance.

2 comments:

  1. There's a poem I wrote that you need to read some day...it's about the Cosmic Dance. Thomas Merton once said something like "nothing we do can stain the joy of the Dance and that sooner or later we must throw our cares to the wind and join the general Dance." It's all part of the Mystery!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. May your birthday continue to be filled with blessings similar to these loving notes from your daughters! Lots to celebrate! Dance on....sp

    ReplyDelete