Monday, August 16, 2010

Why, O Lord?

"Now here I am in front of you, and you have your dreams too, or have had them. And I can tell you something.

That mistaken injection that paralyzed my leg was not a stroke of bad luck. It was a grace.

Let's be precise. There's no point in pious platitudes.

It was bad luck, yes. It was a misfortune. But God turned it into a grace.

I had a useless leg. I could not climb. So I got a jeep and became a meteorologist.

Through no wish of my own, there I was where I belonged: in the desert.

Instead of trudging through the snow I trudged through the sand.
-
Instead of mountain passes I came to know caravan routes. Instead of chamois I saw gazelles.

Life suddenly appeared to me as it was, an immense personal exodus. Now I saw the desert as an extraordinary environment of silence and prayer.

My crippled leg helped me to "stand firm" (Jas. 1:12)

I the runner - now stood firm.

I who'd always tried to do two things at once - now I stood firm.

No doubt about it, it was a plus.

Deep down inside I began to understand that I hadn't been cheated.

Misfortune had thrust me upon new paths.

Brothers and sisters before me with your misfortunes, I testify to you of one thing only.

Today, thirty years after the incident that paralyzed my leg, I don't say it wasn't a misfortune.

I only say that God was able to transform it into a grace.

I have experienced in my flesh what Augustine says: 'God permits evil, so as to transform it into a greater good.' "

-from Why, O Lord? by Carlo Carretto

2 comments:

  1. What good advice to stand firm and we know that God is right beside us, loving us.
    How's was Wound Care Clinic Day?
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was just wonderful. Thanks so much for posting this, Tim. It reminds me of one of my pet peeves, which is when someone says, "There, but for the grace of God, go I." I am always troubled by the idea that someone would think that the object of their pity has been denied God's grace. This just illustrates the falseness of that idea. Thanks again. A great post! And I will not wish for God's grace for you as I know that you already have it. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete