Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Stairs - check!

My physical therapist came yesterday afternoon and we did our routine - check blood pressue and leg exercises. I looked at her and said, " can we try the stairs?" She has been a little protective just because I'm suppose to be on toe-touch walking on the walker but I must confess I'm walking more than just toe-touching. She said she really couldn't think of a way to navigate the stairs without putting weight on my right leg unless it was to do the butt slide. I really didn't want to butt slide the stairs, so we decided to give it a try.

I'm here to report that I made it to the top and back down just fine! Actually did much better than I was doing before I had my new hip! Stairs were getting harder and harder to climb prior to my surgery. The upstairs looked like a foreign land since I haven't been up there in 3 weeks! I didn't tary up there and really didn't even have my list of what I needed from there so I guess I'll have to make another trip. Not to worry, I won't be making it by myself for a while longer.
It was good to know that I could take the stairs - all be it slow - one at a time - without pain! yeah for me!

6 comments:

  1. Good going, Karen! Tim tells me how well you're doing. I am amazed and it boosts my morale for the knee replacement that I will need when the VA can get around to it. - Ron Williams

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you! I'll bet your physical therapist doesn't have too many patients like you. What's next?!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you are now upwardly mobile! Keep it "up"!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's one small step for man......

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea! And how many days since surgery. Sounds like you are doing great.
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful news, Karen! Before you know it you will be bounding up the stairs! Your post certainly adds to my thought-processes about undergoing something similar in the future. Walking up stairs without hip or knee pain seems inconceivable, but your experience is encouraging me to think otherwise! Hope it just keeps getting better and better for you! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete