Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Staples Out!

I had my appointment with my surgeon for my "10 days after surgery" appointment yesterday. She took x-rays and showed me my new hip and said everything was looking good. I did see two screws in the x-ray and asked about them. She said they were screwed into my pelvic - now I know I've got screws but they are not loose! (at least not yet!).

She also took a look at the incision and said it was looking real good, no redness, no drainage and the staples were taken out. I didn't know if I could watch this or not but I did. It's sorta like using a staple puller to remove a staple from a piece of paper. There's a sterilized instrument that goes between the skin and the staple and then they pull it out of the skin. Now, I'm not going to say I didn't feel each one as it came out, some hurt more than others, but they are all out (all 16 of them!) and the incision is now butterfly taped up! Of course today, the dogs have all wanted to jump on my lap on the right side and I keep having to push them away from fear they will jump right on the incision. I don't think that would feel so good right now.

As far as what's ahead, looks like I'm going to be on the walker for at least another month. She wants to see me in 4 weeks. In the meantime, I will continue my home health physical therapy for a couple of weeks. At the end of that time, we'll assess whether to stay with home health or go to out-patient physical therapy. Driving is still at least a month if not more away. Because it's my right side, we have to be sure of my ability and confidence to use my right foot before I get on a gas or break pedal.

So, I'm doing well, making progress and trying not to overdo. That's hard for me - have a hard time sitting or laying down but have to do some of that in order for the healing to take place.
Thanks again for all your prayers, meals and help with transportation. it is all appreciated and is the hardest thing for us to do - ask! but we're learning to do that!

5 comments:

  1. You'll be walking on your own, climbing stairs, and driving before you know it. In the meantime, let's celebrate the progress you're making! Tell those cute pups we miss them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The staples are amazing the way the hold and then are taken out. They did the same on Mike's knee. Keep working out. Hint--be sure to take a pain pill 30 minutes before therapy-- it is more comfortable to do what the therapist ask.
    Prayers for continued progress.
    Mike & Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great update. Sounds like you are progressing really well. Guess you have to have some kind of doctor's letter to get through airport security now.
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear of your wonderful progress. You bring back lots of memories, staples and worry over the brake pedal. Know that you will soon wonder how you got along without that new prosthesis! Just passed the 10 mark. Ain't titanium in the right hip wonderful? God is good! Prayers continue for you and Tim both! sp

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're soooo glad you are doing so well. I know you want to be up and about more. Baby steps. Keep up the wonderful work you are doing. We continue to pray for you and that brother of mine.
    Lovera and Doug

    ReplyDelete