Friday, May 20, 2011

A Few Days at the River

It's hard to believe that it was just a week ago that I was in Richmond for a visit. As a part of that visit, Mary Beth and I went to our family cottage at the "rivah" as they say. This cottage is on the Rappahannock River at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. My grandparents bought the cottage the year I was born and I spent my 1st summer at the rivah. My family enjoyed spending summer vacations here along with the larger extended families. There were holiday weekends that this little place slept 15-16 people, wall to wall beds. There are such fond memories of time spent with family in this place. I had not been for a long time and was long overdue for a few days at the rivah.

It was chilly but really nice to sit on the side porch with our sweatshirts on and take in all the sites and sounds. Of course, being so close to the water, there is always the sound of the water hitting the shore. I can remember getting motion sick from this but wasn't bothered by the sound this trip. Deltaville is the town across the mile wide river and you could see the buildings clearly. It was so peaceful and relaxing just to sit and talk and laugh and be. I needed that!



The front of the cottage taked from the pier next door. Oh, the cedar tree at the front corner. We used to hate walking that way to the beach because we'd get cedar stickers in our bare feet. That tree is a landmark for the cottage. This little cottage consists of five rooms and a bath. I do remember when there was an outhouse for the bathroom! We don't drink the water so bring our drinking water and we don't have hot water so heat that in a kettle. This is the smallest place around with the land all around this cottage being developed with large homes built on lots all around. But we love our little place!



This is the view of the back! Home sweet home!




What's a trip to the river without eating some steamed crabs. I did get some steamed crabs from a river house in White Stone. That was its own experience. Mary Beth went with me to get the crabs and she asked as we left, "Mom, was she legit?" It was a old farmhouse and an elderly woman with her dog on a rope met us outside. I asked about the crabs and she went to a walk-in freezer to get them.




I sure did enjoy picking and eating them. Yum!




Spending a few days at the river was so nice. I found myself emotional as I remembered all the good times with Granny and Grandpa, Mama and Daddy, aunts and uncles and cousins. Oh, my, what a history! Fifty eight years worth! It looked the same as I remembered it, oh a few new pieces of furniture and fresh paint but not much had changed. I stayed in the "flip-flop" room which used to be the pink bedroom right off the side porch so you hear the water all night long!

Thanks for all the memories!



This was the sunset one of the evenings we were there! It was beautiful and such a great reminder of the days and nights spent enjoying God's creation with family.


















1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures and beautiful times together. I love this place!! Hey, maybe one day you can show it to me in person!

    Love you,
    Shelia

    ReplyDelete