Thursday, September 2, 2010

A Good Report

I visited the Baylor/All Saints Wound Clinic this morning. I have been going to the HEB Wound Care Clinic, but my orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Wagner, wanted me to see Dr. Reaves, a plastic surgeon who works through the Baylor/All Saints clinic. This morning I saw Dr. Motley, who does the work ups for Dr. Reaves (who is presently out for a two week vacation for his 35th wedding anniversary. I think we can allow that! lol) The first words out of his mouth when he looked at the big wound on the bottom of my foot were, "This is a piece of cake!" That's very important because Dr. Sotman, my infectious disease doctor and the one who's been working on it at the HEB Wound Care Clinic, was concerned that they wouldn't know what progress has been made. In fact, they are very happy with what they saw and Dr. Motley says he will use something called "integra" (some sort of artificial tissue...don't ask me, I won't see what it is until next week...:-) and he believes that by the time Dr. Reaves returns we'll be ready for a skin graft to close the wound. He also said the wound vacc was doing well, but by itself it would probably take another two months to fill to the point where we could do skin graft.

In the meantime, I'll still have my trusty wound vacc and will probably keep taking antibiotic infusions as long as the wound is big and open so I won't get any more infection. This report gives me a goal to work towards with a definite end. And that means the freedom to get back to work and to church and just to roam the city to get groceries, etc. I also hope to be able to return to visiting the Hatch in Dallas near White Rock Lake with my friend Cap'n Ron Williams.

The doctor also was very complimentary about my new habits for controlling my diabetes and my blood sugars and being careful what I eat. Without that commitment, all the other things will not work. Evidently, there are many more people who don't take care of their diabetes than those who do. I'm grateful for all your prayers and care for me. Now pray that I can stay the course and that my foot will continue to improve as it has been doing.

I'm still reminded by Jean-Pierre de Caussade: "If we have abandoned ourselves to God, there is only one rule for us: the duty of the present moment." I'm trying to remember to live the sacrament of the present moment - that what is before me in the present moment of every day is the task God has for me. For those of you who've ever seen the newest version of the movie The Four Feathers will understand what it means to say, "Whatever God puts in my way!" :-)

I'll try to post more regular updates as the process moves froward.


3 comments:

  1. Tim and Karen,
    Good news about the slow but now discernible healing. And controlling your diabetes.
    I talked with Matt Menger last night, from his and Joan's hotel room in Bishop, California. Yes, he's out of the hospital and newly diagnosed as diabetic. He and I think a cooking for diabetics would be a good and needed class for the Broadway Academy on Wednesday nights or on Sunday afternoons. I'll be talking to Miss Claudine and see what we can do. Appropriate nutrition should be tasty!
    Love you both,
    Versie Bayeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, this is such heartening news! I am so glad to know that you have made such good progress. I can also imagine how encouraging it must be to begin to see a point in the not too distant future when you will be able to return to valued activities. Congratulate yourself and Karen for all your good work in your recoveries, and I hope that you will both be up and running soon! (Not literal running, unless you enjoy that sort of thing, which is inexplicable to me!) Best to you both! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tim!
    Great news!!!! So happy for you, your foot and Karen! Soooooo, when do you want us to come out? And, I hear you have enough food, can I bring you some anyway???
    I'm so excited for you! Yeay!!!!!
    love to you both!!
    ~Brenda

    ReplyDelete