Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Biostep-Ag

We visited the Wound Care Clinic this morning and came away with good news. My foot has reached a point in healing where we are going to try something different. They have put me on a regimen using something called Biostep-Ag. It's a collagen based looking foam with antibacterial in it that they are placing in and on the wound. My tissue will grow around it and absorb it. We will do new dressings every MWF with Home Health Care just like I was doing with the wound vacc. Notice I said "was doing." I am now on at least a two week hiatus from the wound vacc pending the results from the Biostep-Ag. If it does well, I may be permanently free of the wound vacc and well on the way to being able to use the foot again before too long. It will be wonderful not having tubing down my leg and attached to my foot and no extra eight pound vacc attachment around my neck. I still cannot have any weight bearing on the foot, but that is nothing new. At least the extra attachments won't be there for awhile. I will still have the picc line and be on infusion antibiotics until there is no open wound in my foot, but perhaps the end is in sight. Let's pray that the Biostep-Ag works its wonders in the next few weeks!

2 comments: